Our lawyers assist in Estate and Trust litigation matters related to power of attorney, loss of capacity, transfer of wealth, recovery of assets transferred by undue influence, financial abuse or resulting trusts. Our firm has been called upon to act for trustees, executors, beneficiaries and interested third parties in estate litigation matters. Over the years our lawyers have developed knowledge, expertise and the understanding of the sensitivity around estate matters.
Vogel Verjee has a wealth of experience acting for executors, administrators and trustees to administer estates and trusts. Under Alberta legislation and under the common law, an executor, administrator or trustee can be found personally liable if they fail to comprehend and carry out their legal responsibilities; Vogel Verjee understands the often onerous and lengthy task these obligations present. We work with our clients to ensure they understand their role and responsibilities, and that they carry out their fiduciary duties.
Vogel Verjee’s Estate Lawyers are well versed in:
- Obtaining testamentary grants, such as Grants of Probate, Grants of Administration, Grants of Resealed Probate, Ancillary Grants, and other similar Court Orders;
- Advising executors, administrators, and trustees on all matters connected with the administration of estate and trusts;
- Advising executors, administrators and trustees with applications to pass accounts in an estate;
- Advising executors, administrators and trustees on contentious issues that may arise during the administration of an estate or trust.
Our Estate team is well aware that litigation and disputes can arise in the context of an estate. Vogel Verjee has experience working with executors, administrators, trustees, beneficiaries, and third parties in the litigation, negotiation, mediation and arbitration of estate disputes. Vogel Verjee also is well positioned to address the joint complexities of estate law and family law. At Vogel Verjee, we provide sensitive and straight-forward advice to clients and develop strategies to achieve efficient solutions.
Vogel Verjee’s Estate Lawyers can assist you with:
- Claims against estates from parties who have not been named in the deceased’s Will or included as part of an intestacy;
- Claims for increased shares of an estate by family members, dependents, adult interdependent partners and other parties;
- Disputes arising from the interpretation of a Will or a provision in a Will;
- Disputes regarding the validity of a Will or capacity of a testator or testatrix;
- Concerns about the compensation of trustees, executors, administrators, and/or attorneys;
- Applications to the Court for advice and direction about issues concerning the administration of an estate or trust;
- Concerns about the potential dissipation of estate and trust assets.
Personal Estate Planning
Vogel Verjee also assists individuals with personal estate planning, which includes Wills, Enduring Powers of Attorney and Personal Directives. We understand the importance of creating an individualized estate plan concerning the transfer of our clients’ wealth to their intended beneficiaries, and we are experienced in drafting complex Wills to implement the estate plan. At Vogel Verjee, we focus on the unique circumstances of each client’s situation in order to offer customized, efficient and practical estate planning advice. Contact us today to discuss your personal estate planning concerns.